Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Topic 5 Where do we go from here?

The power of collaborating

An  excellent example of the power of collaborative learning is given by the way the Linux operating systems was developed. What is evident in these kinds of projekt is the joy and determination of the membes in the group and thats not easy to achieve in all learning projects.


 
The film below is mainly in English



Some questions to think of:

  1. Why were you interested in ONL171 course?

    I handle LMS systems at the Department of Physical Geography, and I see that education will change very much in the future since our spieces have enter the new level of intersecting.
  2. Which expections did you have when you clicked the buttom "Enroll me into this course"?

    I expected to learn new stuff (and share some of my own findings) as well as I was looking forward to meet others with similar expectations.
  3. How did you feel at the beginning of the course? Is it always easy to learn collaborative?

    I didn't know what was expected of me but I realised that working together was one of the tasks, together with learning new methods and gadgets.
  4. What did you bring with you out of this course?

    I see that it is easy to discover interesting methods etc and its hard to value the outcome. I miss a concept of "whats there to learn", from the beginning. On the other hand, this might also make the course more interesting.

  5. Is something what you will change in the design of your course after we finish with our journey?

    I would have liked to see all the 5 topics in advance, and som sort of progress bar attatched to the schedule. Well, We can see the activity-form as a progress bar. 

2 comments:

  1. Rolf, excellent and short answers to the questions. I miss a lot the organisation in that course. Sometimes we just talk about collaboration, but some details of organisation makes it difficult to work out as we want to... However, I think that still our collaboration in ONL171 was not the worse in my life. I am working on the article with 12 collaborators and do all work alone. If I stark to kick out my partners, everything will result in legal issues. That is what my partners don't forget to mention on the daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real wonder of collaboration is that you don't work alone. Sometimes you can collaborate asynchronously and that is difficult because you have to wait some times for the others to come in with their inputs. Some people are faster than others and some people work better alone than in a group. When you work in a group you need to understand that you have your goals and the group have goals. When these goals are aligned then it is wonderful but if not then you have to compromise (some times) and negotiate and discuss. I my opinion, never go your own way or over rule others unless you want to brake the collaboration. Collaboration is not a one-man work if you are in a group. Collaboration is difficult and frustrating I agree. Demands patience and trust. Some groups never collaborate and disintegrate without experience true collaboration that is reality as well.

    ReplyDelete